
Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold preached this morning at the daily Eucharist.
We are people of signs and symbols, sacred rites, sacred places and sacred institutions. All these things root and ground us: the font where I was baptized; the altar at which I first received communion, the church in which I was ordained – these carry deep meaning. At the same time I need to keep constantly in mind that the friendship to which Christ calls me in his desire to share his life and wisdom with me is not limited to ritual or place or tradition, as sacred as these may be. The function of such things is to point beyond themselves, to the One in whom we live and move and have our being. They lead us deeper into the mystery of Christ who is our life in all its fullness.
Here is the full text, courtesy of ENS. Photo here by Dick Snyder/ENS.
No comments:
Post a Comment