Have "anti-terror " measures improved our lives? I think we've done terrible things for our common life in the name of safety. Not too long ago, I was in Denver, on my way back from the Young Adult Ministry Network 2006 meeting. This announcement came over the PA: "The Department of Homeland Security has increased our threat level to orange. Be on the alert for suspicious persons and unusual behavior." I felt like I was a character an Orwellian scene.
Now this.
A 32-year-old man speaking Tamil and some English about a sporting rivalry was questioned at Sea-Tac Airport and missed his flight Saturday because at least one person thought he was suspicious.
An exception? Hardly. This is not the only similar incident. As Christians, we must stand up for the marginalized, and it now appears that our advocacy is required for anyone who happens to be the "wrong" color speaking the "wrong" language. Sigh.
No comments:
Post a Comment