Friday, February 16

Updates from the Primates' Meeting in Tanzania

I've been writing at some length over on my other blog. Since many readers may not look there, I thought I'd post a quick update here today.














This photo shows a welcoming banner on the turnoff from the main road. There are more photos here.

So far, the primates have been getting themselves organized. They heard reports (contents) unknown from a delegation of US bishops representing a diversity of views. They also have received a report evaluating the US response to the Windsor Report. We were judged to have met the standard on two of three requests, to refrain from consecrating more gay/lesbian bishops and to express regret. On the third count, the blessing of same-sex unions, we were told that there is more work to do. It is not known how the discussion went when the report was received. Oh, and the other news is that the will-Katharine-be-allowed-to-sit-with-the-boys question has been firmly settled. She's here today.

Today, if we get the information, will be a telling day. The primates will celebrate Eucharist for the first time together. (Yesterday's service was canceled.) So now is the money question: will the primates join together at the Holy Table? Are they, or are they not in communion -- literally -- with one another. I'll report as I find out details. Frankly I doubt that anyone will be forthcoming with the info.

By the way, if you don't like my progressive bias, you can check out other blogs. For a good summary of news reports, check this one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment