|Celebrating 100 years of worship|
Set against this venerable background, the “new” church in Little Compton – St. Andrew’s by-the-Sea Episcopal Church – is turning 100 this year, and the parish is gearing up to celebrate its centennial in grand style. A newly-renovated parish hall will be dedicated by Bishop Knisely, and a 21st century stylized logo has just been unveiled that symbolizes the parish’s focus on the future while hearkening back to its historical roots as “the fisherman’s church.”
|St. Andrew's by-the-Sea (1914)|
In the following weeks, Mrs. Wainwright convinced her husband to donate an oceanfront garage that was soon transformed into a summer chapel. In 1918, the chapel was moved to a 4-acre pasture near the Sakonnet Golf Club. From this idyllic setting, St. Andrew’s by-the-Sea served residents and summer guests alike as an unorganized mission of the Diocese of Rhode Island for the next eight decades.
On Saturday, August 23rd, St. Andrew’s will host a centennial gala on the church grounds to commemorate its first 100 years. Bishop Knisely will celebrate Holy Eucharist the following morning to ask God’s blessings on the parish, and on its ministry for the next century, in what will undoubtedly be a joyous commemoration.
In a town where institutions are measured in centuries, not years, St. Andrew’s by-the-Sea has now joined the revered “Century Club.” Its best years are still to come!